These mocca cups melt in your mouth. They’re chocolatey and creamy with a gentle coffee flavour. And they are ever so moreish.
I have used coffee-flavoured dark xylitol chocolate to make these cups. If you can’t get hold of it, use a tablespoon of extra strong coffee instead of the double cream when making the cups and add a little coffee into the melted chocolate in the filling mixture.
200 g (1 ⅓ cups) coffee-flavoured dark xylitol chocolate
2 tbsp double cream* (heavy cream*)
40 g (⅓ cup) coffee-flavoured dark xylitol chocolate
1 large egg
150 ml double cream* (¾ cup heavy cream*)
40 g (3 tbsp) xylitol
½ tsp vanilla extract
24 pecan halves*
1. To make the cups, put the chocolate and the cream into a heat-proof bowl and place it over a saucepan that has some water in it. Heat gently to melt the chocolate. Stir occasionally.
2. With the help of a teaspoon coat the 24 cases of a silicone mini muffin tray with the chocolate. Place the tray in a refrigerator for an hour. Once the cups have set, loosen them, but leave them in the tray.
3. To make the filling, melt the chocolate in the same way as you did for the cups. Set aside.
4. Separate the egg white from the yolk and put them into two separate bowls. Whisk the egg yolks with the xylitol until fluffy and pale. Add the chocolate and mix well.
5. Whisk the cream and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Combine with the chocolate and egg yolk mixture.
6. Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until hard. You will know when you’ve whisked them enough by turning the bowl upside down: the egg whites should stay in the bowl and not drop.
7. Gently fold a little bit of the whisked egg white into the chocolate cream mixture, then fold in the rest.
8. Spoon into the cups and top each cup with a pecan half. Chill in the refrigerator at least for a couple of hours before serving.
To make the mocca cups free from lactose, use lactose-free cream instead of ordinary cream.
To avoid nuts, don’t decorate the cups with pecan halves but grate some chocolate on top instead.
Copyright © Tarja Moles. Photograph © Tarja Moles. All rights reserved.
If you'd like to use this recipe in your ezine or on your website, you’re welcome to do so as long as you use the complete recipe, including the copyright line, and include the following paragraph in its entirety:
Tarja Moles is the author of No Naughties: Sweet Treats without Sugar, Wheat, Gluten and Yeast. Visit www.nonaughties.com for free recipes and information on special diets and living with multiple dietary restrictions.
Back to Recipes