Mini oven pancake canapés
Oven pancakes are a popular Finnish treat, but I have added a British twist: I have based the recipe on the traditional Finnish recipe but made the pancakes in the shape of individual mini-size Yorkshire puddings (the Finnish oven pancakes are large and cut to portions after baking).
My grandmother used to make the most delicious oven pancakes and serve them with her own homemade strawberry jam and vanilla cream. Usually the Finnish pancakes are made with milk, but because gluten-free flour tastes better when there’s some fat in the batter, I have used single cream and water instead.
These canapés may look humble when they come out of the oven, but once you’ve put the gorgeous cream and berry topping on, they are transformed into something festive. They’re very moreish, so it’s worth making a big batch in one go.
225 g Doves Farm gluten free plain white flour (or 1 ½ cups King Arthur gluten-free multi-purpose flour)
25 g (1 ¾ tbsp) xylitol
3 large eggs
250 ml single cream* (1 cup light cream*)
170 ml (¾ cup)water
a pinch of salt
vegetable oil for greasing
6-9 tbsp no-added-sugar strawberry fruit spread (or xylitol jam or diabetic jam)
300 ml (1 ¼ cups) whipping cream*
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
30-40 g (2-3 tbsp) xylitol
Strawberries and blueberries for decoration
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Grease a mini Yorkshire pudding tray with vegetable oil. Put it into the oven to get hot while you’re making the batter.
2. Put the flour, xylitol and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl or a large measuring jug.
3. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
4. Stir in the single cream (light cream), then the water and whisk until there are no lumps in the batter.
5. When the oven has reached the cooking temperature, take the tin out, pour batter into the individual cups (fill them about ¾ full). Bake for about 20 minutes or until the mini oven pancakes are golden brown. Don’t open the oven door until you’re ready to take them out, otherwise they will collapse.
6. Place the mini pancakes onto a wire rack to cool.
7. Bake the rest of the pancakes and let them cool.
8. While the mini pancakes are in the oven, make the cream topping: put the cream, xylitol and vanilla extract into a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Place in a refrigerator.
9. When all the mini pancakes have been baked and cooled, assemble the canapés. Spread ½ - ¾ tsp of strawberry fruit spread onto each one. Add a dollop of cream and spread evenly. Decorate with berries.
If you want to make these canapés lactose-free, use lactose-free cream.
What to do with leftovers
You can freeze the oven pancakes until you need them. Just defrost them (microwaving them briefly is fine) and add the topping before serving.
Copyright © Tarja Moles. Photograph © Tarja Moles. All rights reserved.
If you'd like to use this recipe in your ezine or on your website, you’re welcome to do so as long as you use the complete recipe, including the copyright line, and include the following paragraph in its entirety:
Tarja Moles is the author of No Naughties: Sweet Treats without Sugar, Wheat, Gluten and Yeast. Visit www.nonaughties.com for free recipes and information on special diets and living with multiple dietary restrictions.
Back to Recipes