Lemon and almond balls
These lemon and almond balls are one of my favourite nibbles. They are lovely and chewy – and impossible to resist...
They are also great as edible gifts: just wrap them in see-through cellophane and use a colourful ribbon to create a wonderful little packet of feel-good bites that are sure to delight the recipient.
1 egg, white
150 g ground almonds (1 cup almond meal)
75 g (⅓ cup) xylitol
2 lemons, zest + 1 tbsp juice
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
2. Place the egg white in a bowl. There’s no need to whisk it.
3. Add the ground almonds and xylitol.
4. Grate the lemons. Add the zest and the juice into the bowl.
5. Combine the ingredients and make them into a ball. (Add a little more lemon juice if the dough isn’t fully combined.)
6. Roll 20-25 small balls with your hands and place them on the baking tray.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the balls start to brown a little.
8. Cool on a wire rack.
Copyright © Tarja Moles. Photograph © Tarja Moles. All rights reserved.
If you'd like to use this recipe in your ezine or on your website, you’re welcome to do so as long as you use the complete recipe, including the copyright line, and include the following paragraph in its entirety:
Tarja Moles is the author of No Naughties: Sweet Treats without Sugar, Wheat, Gluten and Yeast. Visit www.nonaughties.com for free recipes and information on special diets and living with multiple dietary restrictions.
Back to Recipes
Makes 20-25 balls