Hazelnut and chocolate cookies
These cookies are nutty and crunchy with a chocolate and hazelnut filling (a little bit like homemade Nutella). They are easy and quick to make, so if you have children, get them involved in the fun of making them!
You can simplify the recipe even more by leaving out the chocolate and hazelnut filling – the crunchy little bites are ideal in lunchboxes, and they bring that extra feel-good factor to your day in the office.
You could also make a double or triple portion of the filling, put it in a jar and use it as a Nutella substitute.
65 g (2 ¼ oz) ¼ cup hazelnut butter
75 g (2 ¾ oz) ¼ cup Sweet Freedom/agave nectar
110 g (4 oz) ¾ cup gluten-free flour blend (e.g. Doves Farm gluten-free white flour blend, King Arthur gluten-free multi-purpose flour or self-made gluten-free flour blend)
40 g (1 ½ oz) 3 tbsp hazelnut butter
1 tbsp Sweet Freedom/agave nectar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.
2. To make the cookies, put all the cookie ingredients together into a mixing bowl, mix and combine into a ball with your hands.
3. Roll 18 small balls with your hands and place on a baking tray. Press the balls with a fork to flatten them and make the cookies stripy.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies have browned slightly. Take them out of the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
5. To make the filling, put all the filling ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Place the mixing bowl in a refrigerator until the cookies have cooled.
6. To assemble the cookies, spread some filling onto the bottom side of a cookie and gently press another cookie onto it. The stripy sides of the cookies are left outside. Place the cookies in a cool place for a few hours to help the filling set.
Copyright © Tarja Moles. Photograph © Tarja Moles. All rights reserved.
If you'd like to use this recipe in your ezine or on your website, you’re welcome to do so as long as you use the complete recipe, including the copyright line, and include the following paragraph in its entirety:
Tarja Moles is the author of No Naughties: Sweet Treats without Sugar, Wheat, Gluten and Yeast. Visit www.nonaughties.com for free recipes and information on special diets and living with multiple dietary restrictions.
Back to Recipes
Makes about 18